In astrology, each planet, luminary, sign and house has an element associated with, and with tarot, so does each card. By having these associations, you have at a glance instant possibility regards the potential of the energy you are studying.
- emotion – intuition – need – empathy – imagination – relationships – home – dreams – subconscious – feeling
Water is indicative of emotions and emotional issues, with the deeper or more tumultuous the water, being a sign regards the detail of the situation at hand. Water also relates to intuition and is a sign that is time to withdraw, meditate and clear your Third Eye, Crown and Heart chakras.
When the Water element is strong in a reading, you know that emotional need and want, as well as messages from the subconscious, are major themes of the moment. Relationships of all levels – love, friendship, companionship with animals, work colleagues and career contentment, are all important factors of the Water element, as they involve our feelings of security and self-confidence. As human beings, we long to love and be loved, and to feel happiness, peace and contentment within our daily routines. We search for your soul mate lover, our life long friend, the perfect parent, and that career opportunity where work is pure joy, not a painful routine of necessity. When the Water element is strong in any reading, it is apparent that there is an emotional imbalance in a life area, and your subconscious, angels and guides, are attempting to make you aware of this imbalance through the cards.
When there is too much Water influence, the situation that is active at the time needs healing and release work. You can find that emotional want is outweighing practical thought and logical understanding. What is challenging when working with an out of balance Water influence is isolating the truth beneath surface feelings of anxiety and denial. Change is challenging for the Water element, as change is a slow, meandering process. When change is forced by an action from the external, and there is too much pressure applied, what was once a calm expectation, becomes a frantic drama, with the heart and mind creating an environment that is indecisive, insecure and irritable. Excessive Water element can lead to erratic mood swings, unpredictability, unreliability and disappointment.
When there is too little Water influence, there is a lack of imagination and a deep sense of detachment that is a cause of concern. There can be too much head over heart input, and a chosen denial that will ignore the inner voice of intuition. A lack of Water element can indicate commitment issues and a time where boredom and restlessness is strong. There is a selfishness and level of self-focus that can appear cruel and excessively aloof by the external, which can create a false illusion to the true reality of the present situation at hand. It is important then to explore the past in depth, when a querent has sought emotional advice and little Water element appears in a reading. Exploring the past will enable you to connect with whatever previous experience is impacting so heavily on the emotional balance of the present.
Below is a list of the Water element associations in both Tarot and Astrology.
- The High Priestess
- The Chariot
- The Hanged Man
- The Moon
As Mars was the traditional ruler of the 8th House and Scorpio, Fire can co-rule Death and Judgement with Earth and Water.
As Jupiter was the traditional ruler of the 12th House and Pisces, Fire can co-rule The Hanged Man and The Moon with Water and Water.
- The Hanged Man
- The Moon
- The Suit of Cups
Depending on the deck creator, the suit of Cups can also be the season of Summer.
ASTROLOGY FIRE SIGNS
ASTROLOGY WATER HOUSES
- 4th House
- 8th House
- 12th House
ASTROLOGY WATER PLANETS
If there is excessive Water Element, you could be:-
- excessively needy, continually in search of approval by others, suffering from anxiety and prone to depression, find it difficult to detach, struggle with healing the past, experience paranoia, smother those that you love, try to be emotionally controlling, struggle to be alone
If there is too little Water Element, you may be feeling:-
- isolated from others, ostracized, critical of self, self-focused, self-absorbed, holding on to the past, reject change, lethargic, prone to self-pity, lacking compassion, care little for others
When the Water Element is in balance, you are:-
- emotionally confident, enjoy giving and receiving love and kindness, appreciate the cycle of life, empathetic and compassionate without absorbing other’s issues or smothering those around you, feel secure in yourself, feel secure in your talents, have found a way of expressing your deeper self creatively or athletically, will opt for times of isolation, enjoy intimacy, prefer interdependent relationships, know when to let go, work at learning and healing continually
When working with the elements, you will find that they work together, emphasizing and enhancing each other, in both the positive and the negative.
WATER AND EARTH
This is a comforting combination that can signal strong instincts, security, stability and long-term vision.
- compassionate, charitable, nurturing, stability, security, good provider, sound financial management skills, caring for the environment, focused on good health and vitality, ambitious, life focused
- laziness, emotional detachment, emotionally self-focused, ill health, lack of care in physical appearance, neglectful, lacking responsibility, unreliable, lack of sensibility, lack of caring about the immediate environment, lacking compassion, materialistic, uncharitable, cruelty, heartlessness, financial instability
WATER AND AIR
This can be mutually supportive, yet is prone to moments that are indecisive and erratic.
- highly psychic, prophetic messages, spiritual leadership, compassionate logic, wise adviser, soothing communications, romantic
- emotionally erratic, emotional outbursts, indecisive, thoughtless, lacking empathy, insensitive, detached, distant, elusive, commitment issues, overly changeable, challenges finding contentment, manipulative
WATER AND FIRE
This can be a challenging, volatile union, yet, has the potential to lighten the intensity and brighten the mood.
- artistic, confidence building, optimistic, forward thinking, heightened psychic confidence
- mood swings, lacking self control, emotional disconnection, depression, pessimism
Water element can be represented by a cup or chalice of clean water, or by any outside water source.
Goddesses to call upon:-
Oils, Incense and Herbs
- Apple Blossom
- Ylang Ylang
- Blue Lace Agate
- Blue or Pink Calcite
- Lapis Lazuli
- Clear Quartz
- Blue Tourmaline
- Solar Plexus
Source: Tarot & Water Element