In astrology, each planet, luminary, sign and house has an element associated with, and with tarot, so does each card. By having these associations, you have at a glance instant possibility regards the potential of the energy that you are studying.
- ideas, insight, clarity, confusion, communications, fears, dreams, intellect, brilliance, humor, vision, cunning, logic, strategy
When the Air element is strong in a reading, you know that the issues of the moment relate to intellectual themes such as – decisions, communication, fears and education. With the Air element, you are dealing with issues of the mind which raises matters relating to the past, the present and the future. When Air energy is strong in a reading, it is a time of decision making in life, and a time where careful thought is replacing impulsive instinct or emotional attachment.
In a reading, Air energy indicates a journey of the intellect, be it an actual undertaking of formal studies, an intense time of words and interaction, or an introverted time of discovery and healing. Dream energy is strong when the Air element appears, as are arguments and discord within relationships, and overall feelings of life dissatisfaction, indecisiveness and confusion. Air energy appears when you are weighing your options, assessing those around you and allowing yourself a moment to separate your heart and mind for just a moment. With this energy, your guidance is giving you a life view that is free of emotional entanglement, allowing insight, logic and cool reason to have its voice.
Air energy also appears when your emotional and physical self is worn out, out of balance or under stress, and is your sensibilities calling for you to start listening to your inner voice. With the appearance of Air influences, life progress halts as attitudes are adjusted, lessons are absorbed and relationships are re-organised. It is a time of life filing, and where that too hard basket is finally sorted. This is not always a pleasant process, as dreams, thoughts and psychic input encompass what is beautiful, sad, painful and difficult, making it easy for feelings of anger and anxiety to smother much of the Air elements positives. Air element shows you what interactive energy is transpiring in the external climate, and what subliminal, subconscious influence may be affecting intellectual balance.
When the Air element is being negatively expressed, you have erratic thought patterns and an often stubborn outlook that is not prepared to adjust expectations. Similar to negatively expressed Water potential, there can be extremes of denial and the refusal to accept responsibility for ones role in past mishaps. Blaming others is particularly apparent when the Air element is out of balance, as is believing that there is an ongoing attack on the persona. It is important to assess the Air element that is present, to get to the root cause of the present anxiety. Isolating this past event will begin the healing process, which will then enable the more positive qualities of the Air element the room needed to breath.
Here is my article on how to work positively with the Swords in tarot.
Below is a list of the Air element associations in both Tarot and Astrology.
- The Fool
- The Magician
- The Lovers
- The Hermit
- The Star
- The Suit of Swords
Depending on the deck creator, the suit of Swords can also be the season of Autumn, or Winter.
ASTROLOGY AIR SIGNS
ASTROLOGY AIR HOUSES
- 3rd House
- 7th House
- 11th House
ASTROLOGY AIR PLANETS
If there is excessive Air Element, you could be:-
- inflexible, excessive in communications, over-thinking issues, suffering from anxiety, being stubborn about ideas, struggling to complete projects, tiring easily of people and situations, continually seeking intellectual stimulation, suffering sleep disorders, overly complicating simple matters, experiencing an excess of ideas, desiring to be intellectually superior, displaying excessive analytical behaviour
If there is too little Air Element, you may be feeling:-
- a lack imagination, boastful about achievements, the desire to covet others ideas, a lack of desire to improve skills, a waning interest, challenging communications, difficulties with faith, emotional disconnection, a lack of desire to learn from experience, prone to blaming others for life challenges
When the Air Element is in balance, you are:-
- inspired, keen to learn, adaptable, active with communications, imaginative and creative, logical, a forward planner, well organised, have your priorities in order, have a healthy perspective of present issues, learn your lessons, are diplomatic, naturally mediate, problem solve with ease, talk your way through confusion
When working with the elements, you will find that they work together, emphasizing and enhancing each other, in both the positive and the negative.
AIR AND FIRE
This is a dynamic coupling that has the potential to be both volatile and progressive, but tends to lean more towards the positive.
- highly motivated to bring ideas into reality, good at brain-storming and problem solving, energetic communicator, flexible, charismatic intellectual, fast paced thinker, highly creative, original thinker
- easily bored, argumentative for the sake of it, dismissive of other’s input, intellectual superiority, negative thought patterns, unrealistic aims, overly opinionated, sly, dishonest
AIR AND WATER
This can be mutually supportive, yet is prone to moments that are indecisive and erratic.
- highly psychic, prophetic messages, spiritual leadership, compassionate logic, wise adviser, soothing communications, romantic
- emotionally erratic, emotional outbursts, indecisive, thoughtless, lacking empathy, insensitive, detached, distant, elusive, commitment issues, overly changeable, challenges finding contentment, manipulative
AIR AND EARTH
This can be a challenging, moody union, yet, has the potential to bring practical ideas into actual being.
- ambitious, practical, inventive, leadership, resourceful, goal-orientated, long term visionary
- anxious, settling for less, prone to depression and negative thought, ignoring physical signs and symptoms, dictator potential, overly stubborn, ignorance, arrogance, superiority complex, narcissistic potential, self-centred, superficial
Air can be represented by wands and feathers.
Goddesses to call upon:-
Oils, incenses and herbs
- Lemon Verbena
- Star Anise
- Clear Quartz
Source: Tarot & Air Element