Spring is a wonderful time of year for new beginnings, however when you to start a new beginning in your life, you must release old habits, and let go of people or ways that are no longer working for you – it is all too easy to fall back into old habits and this simple candle spell is a great way to focus the mind and set intentions. Candle magic is one of the oldest forms of folk magic and can be found in many cultures, we still blow out the candles on a birthday cake and make a wish. This little ritual is just an extension of that sentiment.
A new beginning can be applied in any area of your life. So before starting with this ritual, reflect on the ways and recognize the people who you feel are preventing you from growing. Make a commitment to make room for new thoughts, attitudes, and new people in your life. Find out in what aspect you want to grow or change. Do you want to grow spiritually, emotionally, physically or intellectually? Once you have established that, you are then ready to do the ritual.
One of the best times to do a ritual for new beginnings is during the Waxing Moon – when the moon is growing bigger, and also at the start of the year when the Sun is growing stronger – all around you can see and feel the evidence of new life emerging so this is an opportune time. For me, natural magic is just connecting the mind with the natural flows of nature to bring outcomes. You can let go of old ways the same way you let go of the days that have passed. Here is a New Beginnings ritual to let go of the past that is holding you back, give thanks for what you have in your life, make room for great and positive things, and steer your life towards the direction you want.
What you will need;
- Any incense with cleansing properties
- A white candle
- A bowl
- Find a quiet place where you can sit and be comfortable – outside in a sheltered corner would be idea, this will also connect you will the earth energies.
- Visualise all your hopes, desires and dreams and feel the hope and excitement building up inside you.
- Light the incense, let if fill the air and let any negativity leave you and your surroundings. Imagine the smoke as cleansing. This represents the element of Air.
- Light the candle and imagine the flame burning away any negativity, fears and stress. As you light it, think of everything that you have been through in the past year. Focus on releasing baggage and issues that you consciously and unconsciously carry. This represent the element of fire.
- You should leave the candle burning till the end of the ritual.
- Take the bowl and fill it with water. I also like to swirl some herbs around in the water, or even some pretty flowers will do. Visualise the purifying quality to water, but also its strength, its determination and its power.
- Take a sip of the water and pay close attention to how it makes your body feel. Feel its cleansing, reviving, and energizing powers.
- To close the ritual, say thanks to the elements for their presence and assistance.
- Allow yourself to feel hope, happiness, and gratitude. Hold on to the feelings as long as you can, and take them with you as you embark on a new beginning.